Thursday, January 05, 2006

12:01

Wow. It’s been a while. Happy New Year people! I was in Pune for the coming of the New Year. I had a great time and I loved every minute of it. I only knew one person from the eleven people that were there. But I got along with them superbly.

My best gal and I decided that on the 31st of December, we are going to go out and look for some nice men. We didn’t want to be alone on New Year. Even if it lasted just till the next day… at least we would have someone to wish when the clock struck twelve. We didn’t. Instead when midnight came, I had to wish the guy standing behind me, who was, not to be rude, just blah. After which I tried making a call. He raised his eyebrows and asked wickedly who the ‘lucky guy’ was… I said my mother.

For that moment, the sixty seconds between midnight and 12:01 I felt intense loneliness.

My best gal came to me. She began to talk about her ex. Five years and she broke up with him. I spoke about mine. Three years, and just like that, it was over. We confessed we sometimes think we made a huge mistake by giving up something so solid.

Then a popular song played.

And we got up and danced until the loneliness, the pain, the guilt and the regret went away.

1 comment: